Online Work Teams: A New Way of Working
New trends in telecommunications have enabled people to gain access to different ways to interact and to work. This is the case of online work, which brings about a new idea of work and new alternatives that offer many advantages as well as challenges.
Shared work space
Online work teams present a new way of rethinking the human being, with teams that work towards a common objective and still remain in different geographic locations and very possibly in different time zones. Yet these are people who inhabit a same virtual space, erasing all distance or need to move to a physical place in order to do work. Instead, they are only one click away from linking up and meeting for work.
Types of offsite work teams
- Remote work: companies that have a main office but whose workers do their day to day work outside of the head offices. Usually, the majority of remote work is done off of the computer. Examples of remote work are salespeople or care providers.
- Virtual work: people that work from home or that travel for personal reasons, and do their work online. The most common examples are designers, programmers and people who work in online marketing.
Tools that allow online working
The management methods used for this type of work teams are special, they do not have the advantages that on-site jobs offer such as face-to-face relations, instead contacting the people you work with and their ability to perform their specific duties and tasks depends on other types of media such as:
- Telephone calls
- Shared documents
- Project and team management software
8 tips to have a successful virtual team:
- Hold a personalized initial meeting to clearly set out expectations and objectives.
- Establish some basic guidelines for work and relations from the outset.
- Establish common and realistic goals.
- Maintain active communication at all levels and channels of the team.
- Facilitate a feedback process that helps to improve work quality.
- Implement motivation strategies that help to humanize the virtual medium and strengthen teamwork.
- Hold virtual meetings with the whole team to strengthen cohesion and synergy.
- Offer ergonomic guidance to look out for the health and well-being of the team.
Collaboration Superpowers about the benefits, challenges and strategies to managing global teams: