In the management of virtual teams and telework it is vital to have good technological tools to rely on, but even more important is to have strategies in place for dealing with human capital. All the strategies must be aimed at building up the team's skills and maintaining an exceptional organizational culture.
Why is it important to develop the human capital?
The human capital on a virtual team and in telework requires special care, since the absence of in-person relations increases the chances of things falling apart easily.
Turning to other companies with experience managing virtual teams is useful, because they can help your company make advances in this area and improve in aspects such as:
- Achieving good results on your projects
- Multicultural management
- Humanizing the virtual medium
- Organizing your team's responsibilities and functions
- Improving the team's sense of belonging and identification with the company
Elements to Foster within a Virtual Team
- Communication: Fostering all channels of communication with the company in both directions, and using a wide array of alternatives currently offered by technology.
- Motivation: Strengthening and maintaining positive motivation within the team, and fostering the circle of positive emotional motivation.
- Common objectives and goals: Establishing common objectives and goals and real actions for reaching them as a team.
- Autonomy: Developing commitment and the ability to work responsibly without the need for external pressure.
- Change Management: Developing the flexibility and ability to adapt to the changes and shifts that emerge frequently in the virtual world and in telework.
- Time management: Promote organization and optimum work time usage with strategies that prevent stress and maintaining the team's health.
Sustainable Virtual Teams
The biggest challenge that comes up in virtual teams is how to keep teams sustainable with higher level of permanence. For this, it is essential to think of strategies that will build virtual teams with a strong human component, increasing their commitment to the company by making them identify with it.
Sustainable teams can be achieved by strengthening:
- Human Potential: recognizing and strengthening human talent and abilities, and improving the role and abilities of each member on the team.
- Leadership: building individual and collective leadership.
- Empowerment: developing the talents and abilities of the team to reach common objectives.
- Competence: improving the quality of work and service by maintaining constant critical thinking and self-reflection on the job.
- Enterprise: encouraging innovative proposals and ideas on the team and translating them into real action.