The needs of virtual teams vary along with the online context, and the rapid, frequent changes this medium experiences. This is the reason why special attention must be paid to how the team adapts to these changes, and how best to go about supporting this process from online human resources.
Why is it important to identify the needs of the team?
Sometimes it seems as though the team is encountering a string of one problem after another, and it may likely be a sign that the company's work approach or dynamic isn't getting to the real needs of the team and its projects. This is more than likely because the company is lacking in strategies that today are offered by online human resources Maintaining the following aspects is an essential part of avoiding this kind of inconsistency:
- Consistency: between the objectives, the team, the project and the company.
- Context and Updating: putting the goals and objectives in the context of the current reality of the team and projects.
- Detecting Key Points: detecting the critical, and most relevant points makes it easy to create strategies that answer the needs of the team.
- Follow Up: tracking the team is essential to getting a read on its needs and providing useful feedback on its work.
Some Needs of Virtual Teams
- Emotional Connection: Without physical interaction, distance is bound to arise between members of the team. Try to reduce this distance by scheduling periodical team activities and by aligning all team members with the purpose of the company.
- Technology: cools relations doesn’t always allow the kind of informal encounters that could sometimes prove pivotal to strengthening the team's synergy. Use “warm” technology such as videoconferencing and chats. Avoid “cold” technology like emails.
Language: very often we are talk about multicultural teams, it's plausible that not everyone will be on the same page, as far as language is concerned and this could break down communication. Provide language training to those who need it and summarize meetings in writing so everybody is on the same page.
Knowledge: the software tools that we use every day are advancing rapidly and sometimes the knowledge we have about them can fall short. Provide extensive training for all the collaboration tools you use. Only show people the best practices and provide them with short videos that they can always refer to when they need to.
- Scattering: without a shared physical space, teams are prone to experience a level of scattering among the members of the team. Organize team activities that can bring the team together. If you don’t know how to organize them, take our 2 hour course and we will teach you everything you need to know!
Alternatives and Solutions
Humanizing the Virtual Medium: Humanizing the Virtual Medium: Meet with us on a one on one basis and we will enrich you with different strategies for humanizing the virtual medium through effective real tools where you can inject enthusiasm and respect into virtual employee relations within the virtual workplace. Online human resources is something new for a lot of professionals, let us help you learn different ways to convey your knowledge to your distributed team. Schedule a free consultation with us now.
- Listening to the Team's Voice: The answers and solutions to difficulties and needs will always lie with the team itself, since they are the ones who day in and day out work within the virtual world, so your listening and participation must be active.
- Develop the Human Potencial: build the talent and skills of your whole team by uniting their efforts, and empowering the potential they have.
Virtual Gatherings: through group activities and meetings, you can break down the icy barriers that sometimes spring up as a result of technology, while strengthening relations, communication and synergy among the members of your team. If you need, use a monitoring software, we only recommend it when you need to help a team improve in something and find the right production speed.
- Training: Your team must receive continuous training so it receives the tools it needs to face the constant changes that characterize the current world. If your team consists of Millenials, make sure that Training and Development are a priority in your company; otherwise talent retention will be hard.